My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, March 24, 2014

The Brooder Coop

Baby coops ready for chicklets!
Well I managed to weasel out of work around noon, came home and busted it; cleared out the hoop coop, sprayed for mites, put the new baby pens together. I would have made my own little pens but just did not have time!




Purebred Ameraucans and some Black Copper Marans




Roger & Bianca's babies, hatched 2-27-14





First out were the purebred Ameraucana chicks and some Black Copper Marans, most all of which look extremely male.











Alas, Roger is no longer with us, but I have two chicks from him and Miss Bianca. They will probably be pet quality, but I"m sure someone will love them.








Roger & Princess's baby

I lost Princess in the same predator attack as Roger and only have the littlest chick from them. Alas, those naked legs are a no-no in Silkies, so another pet quality bird.





Gold & Grey Easter Egger








I have a lovely grey and gold chick from Earl, my Easter Egger boy. The photo did not quite catch the right shade of soft grey. I am hoping this is a pullet. This is the coloration I have been breeding for, as it is really pretty.






Buff Orpington babies hatched 2-27-14

We now have about 15 Buff Orpington babies from Claude and Henrietta. These are the oldest two I have here. (Cindy has 3 down in Scottsdale that are older).

Look at how dark a buff their feathers are!











The same two BO chicks
The slightly smaller one has earned the name Trouble. Because it's always in trouble or causing trouble! Every time I open the brooder it comes running out. In the house it was determined it could free range in the living room. One evening when I fed them I thought everyone that had escaped in the process was back in. But not Trouble, there it was, right next to the brooder, as close to the light as it could get.



Wide Load!
BO chicks from 3-7-14








These chicks have nice wide bodies. Trouble's sibling is quite a chunk when you pick it up. That one weighed about 6 ounces at three weeks old.  I should probably weigh some of these guys now.








Some siblings from the 3-7-14 hatch.










BO chicks


In this picture, the chick on the left and in the background were hatched on 3-13. The bigger chick on the right was hatched on 3-7.








BO chicks hatched 3-13-14


These little guys were hatched last week. After getting as much done outside as I could, I had a quick bite to eat and unloaded the incubator of this weeks hatch.






Black copper Marans & a BO chick



These Black Copper Marans and the Buff chick hatched yesterday. The BCM in the lower left was a slightly small chick from last weeks hatch that I decided to keep inside another week.










Here are a couple of the Buff chicks from today's hatch with that older BCM. All of my home grown chicks hit the ground running. I've never had to show them where the food or water was; they are active from the get go, running around, finding the water and getting a drink, finding the food or scratching in the shavings.


Tonight I"ll be putting in more Buff Orpington eggs to hatch, along with some more purebred Ameraucana eggs from some great looking show birds.

2 comments:

  1. Mary, you quite the assortment of chicks. I'm sure you will start receiving some eggs before the end of the year. Do you show your Chickens at fairs there or are they just for your own entertainment? I hope they all turn out well.

    Have a great chicken hatching day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, you quite the assortment of chicks. I'm sure you will start receiving some eggs before the end of the year. Do you show your Chickens at fairs there or are they just for your own entertainment? I hope they all turn out well.

    Have a great chicken hatching day.

    ReplyDelete