My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, July 30, 2021

Farmer Friday


The last few weeks have been doozies. In fact this whole year has been something else. My culverts clogged a bit and I had some run off from the hill pen. You can see more of that in the video  below. 

I worked on new steps up to the hill pen. 



And it rained. A lot in a few days. I’ve gotten as much rain this month as I did for the whole year of 2019. 


So the goat pens flooded and needed mucked out. 
14 bags of bedding barely dried out the goat pens and the brooder coop. Most of the other pens had at least some dry space. 


I dug a little ditch around Caramel’s pen so hopefully the water won’t run in there again. 


There was so much water on tarps it was bending the kennel panels. 


View from the top. Took me all one day to bail water and muck out pens. 


And THEN!

It rained some more!

Since it was nice and cool I did make a pizza: Brick House Bakers pizza dough, home made mozzarella, homegrown tomatoes, basil, garlic chives with some figs from the Superior Farmers Market. 

Tons of weeds growing like crazy but so is everything else. A little birdhouse gourd. 


And a big one. 
Cosmos or maybe coreopsis 

Dahlia 


Tomatoes are starting 


Armenian cucumber 


A jungle out back

I got some of it tamed


Wild fungi


Another dahlia I love the colors, reminds me of water lilies 

Sorting out some Nankins. Nankins are little bantams that shouldn’t be too big. A young cockerel like this should only weigh about 20 ounces. Some of these are too big or don’t have the right coloring to keep for breeding. So I’m giving them away to 4H kids for showmanship birds. I have several pairs. Message me if you are interested and local

I did pick tomatoes and okra and a couple cucumbers but forgot to take pictures. Maybe in the morning. But I did get one of this weeks flowers. 


#appreciation
Today I appreciate we’ve gotten rain. I appreciate that despite the wildfires and floods I still have my house, my gardens, my animals, food in my belly and clothes on my back. 











No comments:

Post a Comment