My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The Best Laid Plans


This afternoon has been a wild ride! First it cooled off a bit earlier that the last few days so I got out and did chicken chores before time to milk. I was hoping that would give me a little time before dark to do some garden stuff   Boy that didn’t pan out at all. 

First, remember when Posie got out a couple weeks ago and was outside the perimeter fence?  Well I hadn’t got around to a permanent fix and she got out again. Today she was actually right by the pen Bambi and her gang are in and they were butting heads through the fence. Luckily  I came out with milking supplies right then and even luckier Posie was right by a gate. As soon as I opened it up she came on in and went to the milk stand. While milking I noticed that she had broken off her scur (a small bit of horn) and it was bleeding so I had to run get the blue kote and doctor it to keep the flies off. 


Then it was Caramel’s turn to milk. 

About half way through milking Caramel Bambi managed to get out of her pen and was trying to eat Caramel’s grain. So I tied her up out of the way. While I was taking Caramel back to her pen Bambi managed to get herself all tangled up in the rope. She had it wrapped around her back legs, her udder and she was laying on it and couldn’t get up. I got her untangled and up on the milk stand and before I could go pass out snacks to Vicki, Storm and Showers, Storm managed to get out. Whew. Got her rounded up, snacks delivered, Bambi milked and put back in her pen. 

Then I went to get everybody’s hay and discovered I’d forgotten to chain the gate and Caramel’s gang was out. Got them all rounded up and their hay delivered. Gave Midnight, Aelf, Chocolate and Gazelle their little grain treat. Filled up water buckets, remembered to chain Caramel’s gate, found a chain and snap to chain up Bambi’s gate. Got the milk in the house, filtered and put away. 

AND I DIDN’T GET A SINGLE BIT OF THIS ON CAMERA Because I had just finished filming the following video and not only was my battery low I was out of storage space on my phone. 


 
Sooo. Adventures with goats. Really I ended up laughing a lot because one thing after another after another and really what else could I do but laugh and shake my head. But boy was I tired by the time I got in the house. 

#appreciation
I appreciate and am thankful that nobody got hurt. That Posie didn’t decide to go walkabout   And everything turned out fine in the end. 




No comments:

Post a Comment