My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Just Another Day on the Farm

soggy soil blocks
Ooops! My beets popped right up in a few days in their soil blocks, so I moved them outside to a part sun location before transplanting to their bed. Then it rained. Ugh, the trays are full of water and the blocks are dissolving. I drained as much water out as I could, then I put them back indoors for a few days, as more rain was expected.

yay most of the seedlings made it














mini bell peppers



green and red okra plants














I had some red okra seeds that were pretty old but a couple of plants came up. Planted some green okra from seeds my friend Glenda gave me.
red root pig weed

lambs quarters in the beet bed






















The rains have put new life into things, especially the 'weeds'. Of course I leave a lot of lambs quarters and pig weed growing around the gardens. I cut them back and cut them into pieces for the chickens.

compost chickens!
compost chicken eggs!
The compost chickens are actually laying more eggs now than they were living in the barn eating expensive feed!












hay string hinges


I guess six years is a pretty good life span for a hay string hinge before it gives out.

But I haven't had time to fix it yet.














Add caption
I have planted seeds along this strip 3 times now and each time the pigs have gotten in and torn everything up trying to get to the squash inside the hoop house.

Whats here, a pathetic little dill plant, something I don't recognize and what I am hoping is Tithonia, or Mexican Sunflower.

What is this?














Of course I can't quit, so I added more compost and more seeds, this time dill, hollyhock and calendula. Hopefully they will grow!
homegrown seeds

Trombonccinno

The Trombonccino squash are getting huge! I'm leaving these to be winter squash, those big ones are about 3 feet long.  I can't hardly walk through here now. The birdhouse gourds are finally running and blooming but I don't see any gourds yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment