My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Planting Time!

Heavenly Blue Morning Glories
I love Morning Glories, especially these Heavenly Blues. They remind me of my granny; she always grew them on trellises around the house. Right now they are blooming up a storm, which always signals to me that fall is really here.

We had a short sudden rain shower this afternoon, about .2" of rain with a little hail. I had done some more cement work down in the creek this morning. Just fortunate that the cement had set up pretty good before the rain started and a trickle of water ran through the culverts and onto the freshly laid bit of wall.

Spent most of the day working on an article about making and using soil block; Seed Starting in Soil Blocks

Something has been eating the strawberry plants and carrying off their leaves as well as some of the newly sprouting pea plants. It's not a bird, they wouldn't bother the strawberry leaves and they pull the pea plants out of the ground, not bite them off. So the usual four legged suspects; wood rats, pack rats, chipmunks, squirrels. Also one of them or maybe a small bird or mouse got under the screen and ate a lot of seedling lettuce.

So I worked on cutting down the weed trees along the side of the house, again. Need to plug up the holes under the house, as I think that is probably where the critters are nesting.

mini greenhouse
rose cuttings
jasmine cuttings

No comments:

Post a Comment