My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, December 26, 2011

Harvest Monday

Baby lettuces with red mustard, chickweed & viola blossoms
We had some snow again on the 22nd so didn't harvest as much this week as I could have, with everything being frozen. This fall I will start more lettuce and things in the greenhouse earlier to have more salad under cover and easier to get to.

This Harvest Monday blog hop is hosted by Daphne over at Daphne's Dandelions. Stop over there and visit with other gardeners around the world showing off their harvests. Don't you just love the internet!

Baby carrots

I also harvested some baby carrots.

This week I harvested:

Salad           8 ounces
Carrots        8 ounces
total            1 pound

15 bean soup cooking on the airtight woodstove






This week I used the ham bone from the ham I cooked last week to make 15 bean soup, one of my favorites. I cooked it on top of the airtight woodstove in the living room, since I had it going all day anyway.

8 comments:

  1. Those carrots look beautiful, as do the greens. The soup looks great - one to remember next winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrots look sweet and tender - delicious fresh fare for cold dark winter days. Soup looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artistic arrangement of greens and flowers. Bet that 15 beans soup was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mary, for letting me have your links on Google+! Now I see your blog and how dedicated you are! That is nice and I can only agree! I do the same here in Spain, growing as much as I can to bio-dynamic standards. I also think that it's the only way forward to go WITH nature and not against it. With the knowledge we have acquired over the centuries and all available now on the internet for everybody, there is no need for chemicals anymore and everybody, really everybody can grow their own food and enjoy health!

    Like you, I also love to eat flowers! There are so many to choose from and a salad with a few wild herbs and colorful flowers, well, that's just gourmet food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your harvest! Those carrots look delicious! That soup looks amazing, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great harvest for this time of year. Bean soup is perfect for a cold winter evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good looking carrots! We cook our soups over our woodstove too...

    ReplyDelete