My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Chicken Palace on Wheels

Bottom frame and legs, portable coop
Well with 33 birds things are a bit crowded around here. While the ducks don't sleep in the hen house, my original little place was only built to house about 5 birds, so the 9 that are roosting in there are a bit crowded.

I've been looking at every type of portable coop design on the internet and saw a great design at Mother Earth News. However there were a few things I wasn't thrilled with, like the wheels were all the way out at the end of the frame. That means when you pick up the handles, you have to pick up the weight of the entire coop. I thought bringing the wheels in closer, about a third of the way in from the end would be better. That way more of the weight is actually on the wheels. This is the way garden carts are made and why I could haul 4 bales of hay in one trip, pulling it with one hand over level ground. I just got the wheels on the coop frame tonight, right before dark and it rolls like a dream.

A lot of coop designs out there are more chicken tractors, with a little space for roosting and nesting and some fenced in for a run. What I was looking for was an actual coop, just for roosting and nesting, to use inside my electric fence. My design is 4' x 7 1/2', or 30 square feet. I think it will probably work out for about 10-15 birds, since they will never be confined inside except at night.

chicks
And just because they are so cute, here are the little chicks that were hatched last week. They are all little characters.

4 comments:

  1. Love the design for your new coop and can't wait to see it finished.
    At present it is so wet and our chicken run is just mud so hubby has started to make me a movable coop too!!!
    Your little chicks look so cute and must be lots of fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea. The little chicks are really cute, just yesterday I left them and their momma out with all the other chickens & ducks. Their momma is so bossy and picking on anyone that gets too close to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making me wish I could have a couple chickies! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really envy you folks who can keep chickens.... I believe this idea of putting wheels on the structure is very practical...

    ReplyDelete