My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, July 9, 2012

Harvest Monday

Italian Heirloom
I'm a little late getting started  but it is Harvest Monday, a great blog hop hosted by Daphne's Dandelions, so hop on over and visit with other gardeners around the world. This week I'm also joining Oregon Cottages Garden Party for the first time. Looks like another great blog hop!

Some more firsts this week, the first Italian Heirloom tomato. I think this plant wasn't getting an even water supply which would account for the cracking, so I need to pay more attention. Tasted great tho, a bit sweet with a little tart. I got the seeds from the Seed Savers Exchange.


little eggplants
A nice bowlful of  small and tender eggplants, which I sliced and fried in olive oil, smothered in marinara sauce, topped with some yogurt cheese and pesto.








There have been a few eggs, but some days none at all. One hen is molting, one hen is broody, and the other two are not laying every day. I think because it's just been so stinkin' hot. I've picked a lot of small tomatoes and a few greens but even the chard has slowed down. There are things coming along, but we in a bit of a lull at the moment.

You can check out my eggplant breeding experiment on this post. And get a little garden tour at this one.

15 comments:

  1. beautiful eggplants. hope the hens stay cool, and don't lay hard boiled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful eggplants and I can't wait for our large tomatoes (if I get any this year)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Italian heirloom looks just like the first tomato of our year! We had sandwiches. So ugly. So delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your eggplants look so pretty :) Every time I see people's pictures of them, it makes me wish I liked to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your way of cooking the eggplants sounds very tasty, they look pretty good too!
    Summer is quite a challenging time in the garden hoping you get some good rainfalls soon for those heirloom tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your eggplants are so pretty! I'm waiting on my first eggplants this year, but I don't even have flowers yet! Oh, I hope ours are as gorgeous as yours once they start producing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful eggplants! I've never grown any, but I do like them. Perhaps next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am hoping my tomatoes and eggplants will set fruits soon. Weatherwise, this sure has been a challenging year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The eggplants look lovely - I'm currently trying to decide what to grow this year. I do like the idea of trying a colour other than purple but then I love my purple eggplants....oh too many decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty eggplants. I planted a white one this year, Ghost Buster, and it is now flowering but any fruit is still weeks away. Glad you can enjoy yours now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice eggplants. :) Sorry to hear that the heat is affecting the hens. It has been pretty hot around us lately but thankfully it has been rainy too.

    Thanks for your tips on my last post! I am happy to report that the garden is doing much better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your eggplants! And your tomatoes; I harvested my first today, but it's definitely not the most flavorful variety. Can't wait for the really good big ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary, I would take your cracked tomato over no tomatoes yet here! It is so hard for me to know when and how much to water. I have a couple just starting to turn and I doubt if my eggplant will ever amount to anything. Yours are pretty! Never a dull moment in gardening! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jealous of your eggplants. I never have luck growing them... something nearly always eats all the leaves right after planting before they have a chance to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The white eggplants... I should be trying to grow them...

    ReplyDelete