My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Coop Update

chicken door open
Well I have worked most of the day on this new, mobile coop. In this picture, there is just a solid peice of thin plywood on the left That is the side the nest boxes will be on. Then the chicken door-cum-ramp in the middle. The right side will be chicken wire with a plywood shutter like the long side.



chicken door closed












Coop from the handle end


Here you can see I got the plywood shutters on over the chicken wire.










Shutters on the coop

Here you can see the plywood shutters I made on the long side, so I can prop them open for ventilation or if the weather is really nasty, like when it snows in the winter, I can close them.


It's been a lot of work the last two days getting things this far. I have tomorrow off, so I'll be working on the nest boxes, a door big enough for me to crawl in if ever necessary and the roof.

chicks hatched July 20.2012

And this evening I said goodby to the cute little chicks. They are going to a great home with 3 adorable young ladies who were very excited to have them!

And in other news it looks like I may have duck dinner quicker than I had planned. There are definitely too many Muscovy drakes and 2 of them are pulling the feathers of several other ducks and making them bleed. So they shall soon be dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I must really read about this! Love to get a few chickens for next year! /Mia

    ReplyDelete