My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Mystery Squash Unveiled

Mystery Squash
At the beginning of August, when my squash bed first started producing I couldn't figure out what these things were. They look like a cross maybe between a yellow crookneck and a zucchini. Of course they are nothing I planted. They were much like a zucchini on the inside, bland and watery. (Sorry, that's just the way most summer squash tastes to me; blah.)










Spaghetti Squash?

Then one day I discovered this one on the greenhouse trellis, too big to pick as a summer squash I decided to let it grow and see what it might become.

Reading another blog I decided it is probably a spaghetti squash. Not something I planted as I'm not fond of the taste, so it must of sprouted out of the compost, but where it came from to begin with I don't have a clue. Even if it turns out to be something else, it will at least be some chicken food.

squash jungle



The roots are some where in the tangle of plants in the foreground and it has run all over the greenhouse and up onto the roof with the other squash. It's the plant with the biggest bright green leaves running up the middle. (click on the pic to see it bigger).


No comments:

Post a Comment