My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Two More Trees in the Ground

Nanking cherry
My Nanking cherry bushes which I grew from seeds are mostly doing OK but a couple of them need some iron & nitrogen. I added an organic iron product awhile back, but so far it doesn't seem to be helping. So I loosened up the soil around them a bit with my digging fork, then added some vermicompost. I hope this helps them perk up soon.
loosening up the heavy clay soil

















vermicompost



Vermicompost is the compost made with earth worms. It is very concentrated in nutrients and in plant growth hormones. I have used it to save many ailing plants. This batch I scooped up from the worm bin without bothering to seperate the worms out, so there will be worms in this area now too. Earthworms help break down organic matter, concentrate plant nutrients in a plant available form and help loosen up tough soil.









Desert Willow


Yay! I got to plant 2 more trees today! A desert willow which have really pretty lavender/purple flowers. The other one was a Mission Fig. I think Mission has some of the biggest figs I've ever seen. This gives me 6 fig trees of 5 varieties.




Mission Fig




















The Compost Chickens  finished out their first week with a full dozen eggs layed with ZERO commercial feed. Check out their own page for more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment