My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, January 26, 2018

Farmer Friday

Edda
Meet Edda, an Anatolian Shepherd, which is another livestock guardian breed. Edda is a master at escaping so my friend gave her to me to see if I could have better luck with her. Edda is a sweet girl and so far very timid. We are taking it slow and easy, but she's the reason I put hot wire on the inside of the duck pen.

another terrace
This week I worked on another terrace in the new garden. This pic is taken from the uphill side, you can see the top of the rock retaining wall here. While I hauled the rocks for the bottom part of the wall out of the creek, the rocks in the top part are right from the garden.

a nest of rocks
I think this is a rock breeding ground. I keep turning up whole nests of them!

The terrace
I loosened up the soil on the new terrace, hauled out a lot of rock, leveled it out roughly and gave it a good watering. I also got the hoops bent for the new bed, but ran out of time to finish. Maybe on Sunday.

eggs are looking up
Egg production is slowly increasing. Some of the oldest girls are back to business while some of the young pullets have also begun to lay.

baby pak choi
Some of the pak choi is trying to bloom so I cut most of it. Good news is that the whole plant is edible, flowers included. I also picked some red mustard. I didn't get a pic today, but I cleared a row of mustard and planted out 3 trays of pak choi. This week I also planted 120 tomato seeds of 6 varieties and a couple of trays of carnations. Running out of room under the lights already! Sunday I'll try and finish up the new bed so I can plant out lettuce and beets and make room to seed more spring veggies.

Find me on Instagram Facebook and Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment