My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, September 27, 2020

9/27/2020 the weekend


On Friday I made the first picking of Swiss chard. 

I finished getting the 2nd bed of the season ready by adding gypsum, kelp meal, manganese, magnesium, boron, iron, potash and blood meal, all things my soil needs. Then I spread it around and chopped it in, hooked up the drip lines and started adding water. The soil is bone dry and dusty, it’s going to take some time to get it wet enough. 

Went to the last market of the season for Globe-Miami on Saturday. 

Found a tiny little pullet egg. 

Picked some nice bell peppers for dinner ( home grown chicken fajitas)

Sunday I laid out some furrows on the new bed and added some fresh worm castings. Then I planted 4 trays of beets, 2 trays of Red Russian kale, some miscellaneous cauliflower and cabbages that managed to escape the late summer pests, 2 rows of spinach with lots of radishes tucked in wherever there was an empty spot. 


Egg production is now truly pathetic. The two big white ones are duck eggs so not even a dozen from the chickens. Lots of pens of birds molting like crazy. Hope all the new girls hurry up and get going. 

#appreciation
Appreciating serendipity in my life like walking into the hardware store and finding 5 gallons of exterior “oops” paint that wasn’t beige or grey for about a third the regular price. 








No comments:

Post a Comment