My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, October 31, 2022

Exciting Monday


Early this morning while I fed the goats I didn’t see any of the loose bantam chickens out that Digger wants to chase so let him run a bit. He ran up behind the big chicken house and was really barking and growling.  Look close in the that tree behind the IBC tote. 

Digger had this young male bobcat treed. I swear I hit video record but apparently not really so all I got was these two still pics.  That tree is right in a fence corner and when it showed no sign of leaving on its own I picked up a long piece of rain gutter and was going to poke it. Cat got the message and hopped the fence. 

I discovered it had peeled back this chicken wire (which I never worried about before because Giotto was here). Bobcat got two nice Black Copper Marans males I’d been watching as possible breeders for spring. So I spent the morning reinforcing this with scrap wood and looking for other breeches in defenses. 

Then I worked a bit on prepping a garden bed. Mostly full of rocks and gravel about 8 inches down

Tons of rocks. This bed has been fallow for 2 summers now with chickens on it so fingers crossed those root knot nematodes are gone. I’ll finish loosening it up and add some compost and amendments then plant kale, Swiss chard and spinach. 

Digger might be barking at bobcats and coyotes but he’s really still a baby. He wants to chew on the goats rubber feed pans and everything else. The coyotes are really howling tonight. 
Hopefully that bobcat won’t come back but you never know. 






No comments:

Post a Comment