My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

RAIN FINALLY!

Well I was at work when it happened. A huge thunderstorm rolled in and in less than an hour dumped 1.4 inches of rain at my place. Which is wonderful.    Except it came so hard and fast a lot of it just ran off the hillsides, down the back sidewalk and right into my back porch and kitchen. It is going to take a bit to get it all cleaned. up.

This is the kind of rain gauge I have. Inexpensive and does the job. It has a gauge that you can stick in the ground and check how much water your sprinkler system is actually putting out or put the big tube into the short one and see how many inches of rain you received.

When you are siting your rain gauge keep it away from buildings, trees, bushes, anything that would hang over it and drip extra water into it. You want it to be in a wide open area to get a true reading.

 This is looking into my kitchen from my living room. I had just gotten home from work and was on my way to the kitchen to get a drink.... Mud and water; my floor is actually supposed to be blue.

And here's my back porch with a couple of inches of wet mud in it. I was saying things I cannot repeat here. I don't think anything that would be majorly ruined by the water was that close to the floor, unless it's deeper under the washing machine.


But I won't even bother starting to clean it up yet. Not only do I have to work a lot this week, the first thing I have to do is go up on the hill and clean out the drainage ditch. I don't think I've gone up there in a couple of years and most of the water and mud ran off the hill from up there.


But I can't find my shovel. I'm thinking I left it down in the creek when I was working down there a couple of weeks ago....which means if it isn't buried by now it's miles downstream.

No comments:

Post a Comment