My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Chickens are Coming

Future Chicken Area
Well I have really been missing my chickens. Fresh eggs, composting, insect & weed controlling chickens. So I've been working on this area, even bought a solar powered fence charger to add electric wires to the fence setup to keep out the dogs.

Watching Craigslist for Buff Orpington chickens, I found a lady reducing her flock, she had 6 BO pullets, just coming into lay, for sale. I was so excited I committed, even though the chicken house wasn't moved and the fence wasn't built. Heck I had a week until I would pick them up..... Then they messed with my schedule at work and now I'm hard pressed to get finished before Sat. morning.... I'm waiting to see signs of life at the neighbors then I'll walk down and see if someone can come help me move the chicken house. In the meantime back to work on the fencing.

I took this picture last week. The stone wall is where the steps are down into the creek bottom, then it continues as a retaining wall around this area. There's part of an old pallet fence which is staying put until the retaining wall is finished. You can also see my new cold frame here, made of a couple old glass shower doors and scrap lumber. Well, back to work.

1 comment: