My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Urban Farm Handbook

Carrots from my garden
It continues to amaze me how when I am calm, centered and serene, how many synchronicities happen in my life. Awhile back I joined a free online course in Urban Farming. I already know how to grow plants of all sorts. I mostly was looking for information on how to turn gardening into a business, how to figure out how much to grow of each thing and how to market. The course has been pretty cool so far, with a facebook page and an online forum, there are also email homework assignments. One of the books recommended for the course is The Urban Farm Handbook, which I have not bought or read yet.


Then, I entered a book give away on one of my favorite garden blogs, Northwest Edible Life. One of the picks happened to be The Urban Farm Handbook. Imagine my surprise this morning when I recieved an email that I was the winner! So I am doing the happy dance! Thanks so much!

Now you should also go visit Northwest Edible Life because she has developed a terrific resource for you, a wonderful gardening journal that has tons of options. You print out the pages that you need from the downloadable PDF, in the quantity that you need for your garden and put them in your own notebook. I'm still working on getting mine put together, but this is a great resource for record keeping. By keeping records of what you planted and where, along with how they grew and yielded, you will be able to fine tune your garden plans to get more produce from less work. You will also discover which varieties of plants and soil supplements are best for your garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment