My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, March 19, 2012

Fickle Arizona Weather

Well our weather has certainly been crazy this year. Yes I know I'm not the only one, I'm seeing this from gardeners all around the world.
The back garden on Sat. March 17, 2012

Saturday was a very nice day for working out in the yard and getting things done. Then the rain started. Actually that was a very good thing. It filled up the water tanks, so now I have a little over 400 gallons reserve again. In the past couple of days we've gotten 1.6" so I'm not complaining about that.

Early Sunday morning the rain turned to snow and we had some hard hail. The rain has been alternating with snow ever since. Although we did have some bits of pretty blue sky today, they were short lived.

Back garden under snow, March 19, 2012
Of course such wild temperature and weather swings are very hard on the plants. I have a feeling that the Mammoth Melting Snow peas might not make it. They just had their first blossom on Saturday, too.  It's been about 36 degrees all day today. But it's supposed to be back up into the 70's by Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. Hearing of your Mammoth Melting Snow Peas make me miss them. Its still hot for us to sow them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That same storm hit us a few days ago. We ended up with nearly 4 inches of rain but got stuck out on the highway when our car couldn't make it through the hail.

    ReplyDelete