My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, September 19, 2013

New Eggs in the Basket

Egg Basket, 9/19/13
I love going to collect eggs, especially when I have new girls beginning to lay. See those green ones in the center of today's basket? Those are from the April hatched pullets. I just love that olive one with the tiny brown speckles! The other one is almost turquoise green. So much fun to see all the new colors!

Close up of speckled egg






The close up doesn't show the colors the best, but it does show the tiny freckles. As you can see these eggs are really tiny, but they will get big pretty soon. Most chickens lay small eggs when they first start, with them gradually getting larger. I have even had hens in their second year lay even larger eggs than in their first year, although they don't generally lay as many of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment