My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Pretty Eggs

Well three of my Black Copper Marans girls are laying right now. I know who is laying the egg on the right, but I haven't been able to figure out who is laying that pretty dark egg on top. I have to finish my new chicken house and get the breeding pens set up so I can separate the girls and figure it out. I have been getting one of these dark ones every other day or so for awhile now. This is the darkest egg I am getting, however Marans can lay even darker than this. So no matter what she looks like I'm going to hatch some of these to keep the dark egg genes in the next generation.


A couple of my Black Copper boys. They are not perfect as far as the standard for their breed goes, so there are a lot of things to work on with them. Once I see which pullet is laying that dark egg I will pick the boy that most nearly complements her for breeding and hope to see some improvement in the next generation.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Black Copper Boys! Are dark eggs any healthier or do they taste any different? Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful dark eggs. Your boys are very handsome too.

    ReplyDelete