My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

All Kinds of Cheeping goin' on!

mystery flower
I tossed out wildflower and other seeds over the winter and this is one of the things popping up. Have no idea what it is, but it is a pretty little blue flower. Forget me Not perhaps?

planting carrots
The baby mustard got tough and was trying to bolt so I fed it all to the chickens and worked up the bed. Normally I would broadcast carrot seed this time of year, but we have been pretty warm and dry so I used my summer sowing technique. With my triangular hoe I make a little furrow and sprinkle some worm castings in the bottom, sow my seeds and cover with more castings. The  worm castings are rich in organic matter, soluble plant foods and even plant growth hormones. They will help keep the seeds moist and provide excellent nutrition for the seedlings. I planted a short row of Amarillo Yellow, Pusa Rudhira (bright red from India, supposed to have very high lycopene content) and Atomic Red. I planted 2 rows of Rainbow Mix. I watered them in well and covered them with a row cover.

52 Tomato plants going in
Last year at this time I was putting tomato plants into 1 gallon pots, in case we had a late frost and I needed to bring them in. This year I am more daring and have put them straight into the ground under row covers. This is the 'way back' garden. Some of this years tomato varieties are Snow White, Black Cherry, Berries & Cream, Yellow Pear, Chocolate Pear along with Black Beauty and Black from Tula.

3rd Hatch of the season
I now have 3 hatches of chicks (and some baby ducks!) with several more to go. Some of the cuties in the last hatch are for a friend of mine and some are for me. Baby ducks are just so stink' adorable!


No comments:

Post a Comment