My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, April 7, 2017

Farmer Friday; I HAS PEAS!

The peas are in!
I LOVE peas! Any kind, any way (except canned; canned peas are just nasty). Snap peas, snow peas, shelling peas, soup peas. Raw, steamed, stir fried. Yummy! This year I only had room for some rows of green and purple snap peas. Hopefully next year I'll be able to plant some of the other kinds too. But the peas are in and the vines are loaded. Peas season isn't very long here because they don't like the heat so I just gorge on them while I can.

Buttercrunch lettuce
The Buttercrunch lettuce is ready and the heads look really nice. Buttercrunch is sort of a cross between butterhead and crisp head lettuce. Lettuce season is also short here. As soon as it stays about 80-85 degrees or warmer every day the seeds won't sprout and the plants will be bolting (going to seed) which makes them bitter.

Collard greens
Getting ready for the Superior Farmer's Market tomorrow (Superior, Arizona). Besides peas and lettuce, there will be the usual kale, collards, rainbow chard, spinach, fresh eggs and cilantro. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment