My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Farmer Friday; Peas in Overdrive

Snap Peas; the vines are loaded
Pea season in the desert is short, sometimes only 6 weeks, occasionally a little longer. Right now the vines are loaded. I have already picked 10 pounds this week from just three short rows (one row is about 18 ft, the other two between 20 and 25 feet). I picked peas this morning and when I was moved water hoses this evening saw more that need to be picked! However, they are predicting highs of 90 F on Monday, so pea season may be extra short this year. So I'll be seeding some melons and cucumbers next week to take their place as soon as the time comes.

Rainbow Beets
I planted some seedling beets in a hoop house late last fall as an experiment. They didn't do much until it warmed up, but now they are ready and delicious looking.

Summer Bibb lettuce
Photographs don't do the Summer Bibb lettuce justice, it is amazingly beautiful and very tender and tasty.

Scarlet Kale
The Scarlet Kale is a much deeper shade of red than the picture; in the shade it is almost purple.

Siberian or Red Russian Kale
The Red Russian kale is going strong but I see signs of bolting.

cut down Swiss Chard
The Swiss Chard has been trying to bolt for a couple of weeks. The nice thing about chard is that if you cut it down to the ground, give some good compost it will go back to making leaves again instead of seed stalks.  These chard plants are already over a year old.

the big hoop house today 4-21-2017
As I was finishing up this evening I took a moment to look back along the trail. I've done a lot of work and have accomplished a lot the past few years. There is a lot more to do but everyday I manage a little bit more. That bit of green along the trail here consists of Nanking cherry bushes, Arizona Pistache and Ash trees along with clovers and herbs like catmint, mugwort and lemon balm. Hiding out for now are newly planted zinias and marigolds. The bigger bushes farther along are burro brush and mesquite, which were about the only things here when I started. Oh and there's Tinkerbell, about ready to have her kittens pretty soon.

1 comment:

  1. I have not checked your blog in awhile and what a surprise to see your many things growing!!That is great. Hope you have a wonderful harvest! Nancy

    ReplyDelete