My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, September 30, 2024

Harvest Monday

Japanese Eggplant

Welcome to Harvest Monday, a blog hop hosted by Dave over at Happy Acres The summer garden is winding down and the fall garden is not yet started to any degree. It has been too blasted hot. We are back up to 100+ this past week, so I seriously doubt there will be any fall tomatoes other than a few cherry types. The heat is also slowing down bed prep and seeding of fall crops.

Eggplant & Jalapeno

Cucuzzi

There were a few eggplants and jalapenos and a lot of cucuzzi. A lot of my market customers have tried the cucuzzi and have come back for more so I'm happy for that.
The milk explosion continues


Egg production is still low
Esmarelda is still giving me 11-12 pints of milk a day and Bambi is still on her steady 6. The last new pullet has started laying so that makes 7 new steady layers. But most of the old girls quit when it got hot in the summer, then they started molting. Most of them are going to freezer camp as soon as it cools off enough to do that because I'm in the red every month for feed. 

 There are a couple of Legbars laying nice size light blue-green eggs and I'm seriously contemplating hatching chicks from them. Chicks that hatch in the fall tend to start laying in spring and lay well over the summer when the older hens quit and I have the biggest market for eggs. I'm still at war with myself over it though, will I have enough time and energy to raise them well. I don't know, I'm going to think about it some more before I actually do it. And I'm going to check with some 4H families if they'd like to hatch and raise chicks until they are big enough to sex, in exchange for some of them. I would pay for their feed in exchange for their doing the work.




6 comments:

  1. Welcome to Harvest Monday. You have had a rough time in Arizona with the heat. I see on a map you triangulate with Phoenix and Tucson. Nice harvests and will be interested to see what you plant for your fall-winter crops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 90 miles east of Phoenix, about 2.5 hours from Tucson, mostly because of the mountains. Just waiting for it to cool off enough to plant something.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to Harvest Monday. I see Claypool triangulates with Phoenix and Tucson. Arizona has had quite a summer. Nice harvests. I'll be interested to see what you plant for your fall-winter garden. What USDA zone are you? Hope you'll come back often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our new zone is 9a but I'm down in the bottom of a canyon so cooler than areas close by that are open and flatter. Last winter my coldest night was about 18F and last summer we had weeks of 110-115F. This summer has been a bit cooler BUT it seems we've had more days with high UV and that has really curtailed outdoor work.

      Delete
  3. Your eggplant looks great - I am missing ours which has quit for the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you; they have done really well despite being in smallish pots.

    ReplyDelete