My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, October 18, 2024

Farmer Friday

Bentley

Welcome to Farmer Friday, a recap of the goings on around here. Boy it's been a week and I'm physically exhausted and super stressed out. Miss Bambi came into heat on Wednesday so I took her to have a date with Bentley.


Things weren't going too bad until Bashful tried to get in on the action and Bentley took offence. Bentley proceeded to mangle the cattle panel and weld wire fence in between them.





This cattle panel is trashed

I fixed things up as good as I could and prayed the fence would hold up. It did, just barely. Both boys are bloody, Bashful from breaking his scurs (small bits of horn) off and it looks like Bentley cut open the back of his neck, probably from broken fence wires. So I decided to make a quick hoop shelter up in the hill pen and move Bentley up there, I am hoping that the extra distance between the two boys will help. All of that occupied all of my Friday, I didn't even pick any vegetables for market.

Pinto Bean and Bentley

I had wanted to breed Pinto Bean to Bentley also and it looked like she might be at the very end of her heat cycle so I moved her too. Poor thing didn't have a clue what was going on, although she did stand for him a couple of times that I saw. But after that she just yelled and yelled, wanting to go back to the girls pen. At this point though I'm a bit afraid of letting her out, afraid of what Bentley might do to the fence. Since she's not milking or anything I'm going to leave her in for a bit, to make sure she is bred. And try to figure out what to do next.

Thanks for visiting, hope you have a great week.





No comments:

Post a Comment