My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, November 1, 2019

Welcome November Farmer Friday 11/1/19


I really was thinking it would be the end of the month before hard frost hit but Halloween is when we used to get it. Not like the past 2-3 years when it hasn’t shown up until Thanksgiving. I collected some of the zinnias to dry for seed this morning. 

Holy moly almost 160°. That is way too hot and the ammonia cloud clogging my sinuses tells me why- too much nitrogen and not enough carbon. So I flipped the pile, adding straw between the layers for more carbon. That should bring the temp down and hold onto the nitrogen. 


Turning and adding straw. 

All done. 


Picking arugula for orders. I had no idea how popular it was going to be. 


The row cover blew off the potted plants. But there were still a lot of good tomatoes hiding under the wilting foliage. 

I only picked the largest ones that looked like they might ripen inside.  The peppers look pretty frozen but I’m hoping I can at least get some seed. 

Time to start taking down bird net and shade cloth and putting on row covers. 

The first sun root (aka Jerusalem artichokes). I think they probably need a bit longer   


And a fun surprise. The first egg from this years pullets. Time to get some nest boxes put out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment