My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Erosion Control and More

rain gauge
I got about six tenths of an inch of rain yesterday so I didn't have to water anything today, yay!


So I spent the coolest part of the morning walking the creek rebuilding little check dams, trying to slow down the water. I know that is about as productive as re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic, but it is at least something. What I really need is a little tractor so I can get up on top of the hills, where the gullies start, and dig some swales.


But for now, mostly I sit in the shade and throw rocks.


small gully before

and after





















I should have taken a before picture. This is the downstream side of the culverts. Due to everything that went on last year I never got back to this project, to put down more cement and rocks where the water shoots out of the pipes. When I checked on it today I realized that in 2 rain storms I've lost almost 2 feet of creek bottom and the water was undercutting the cement that was there. I had some rock piled up nearby, which was intended for the retaining wall, instead it went into the creek bottom. Over the next couple of days I"ll try and add some small rock and gravel to fill in the gaps, then cap it with some cement.


snacks, large red cherry tomatoes






I got another 6x6' panel wired up today, 2 more and a 6x10 panel to go.

compost chicken corral coming along











Then, my son let me borrow his big magnet, so I dragged part of the driveway for nails. I picked up probably four times this much. It is hard to use over the rocks and uneven ground but you can hear the metal bits clinking onto the magnet.

lots of junk
a farmer boy


I seem to have acquired a little farmer boy, my nephew Damon. He likes to help feed the chickens and has a bucket of potatoes growing out back.

No comments:

Post a Comment