My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, July 22, 2016

HARVESTING

Swill Chard
Fridays during the summer are my big harvest days, getting ready for our Saturday Globe-Miami Farmer's Market.

This bed of Swiss Chard was looking a bit ratty so I harvested some for market. I cut back the rest and gave it some fresh compost. It should perk up in a week or so. The rest of the leaves will go to the chickens.

after cutting and top dressing


















Rainbow Carrots




The carrots have not fared so well this year. The soil is just not in the best shape yet. Also I don't think they got enough water when it was really hot.




Rainbow Beets


The beets on the other hand have done very well! The big yellow ones weigh just over 2 pounds each!







Gold Rush Zucchin





The Gold Rush Zucchini, on the other hand are doing very well this week. The rain we had really perked them up. However, they are sprawling in the walk way and it's hard to get through the hoop house!








Large Red Cherry tomatoes



I picked almost 10 pounds of cherry tomatoes and about 20 pounds of large tomatoes. Oops. I forgot to take a picture of all the big tomatoes!



No comments:

Post a Comment