My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Random Stuff

The tomatoes are finally trickling in. I have been really impressed with the Rio Grande variety. The tomatoes are huge and the plant was still setting fruit in 100+ temps.
Rio Grande tomatoes almost ready
















baby fig tree


I took advantage of a special from Baker Creek Heirlooms and got 5 little fig trees for $25. I'll have to do a post on them later. 1 was damaged in shipping and doesn't look like it's going to make it, but the others look really good.













Trombonccinno
The Trombonccino squash are doing well and beginning to make babies. The bumble bees love the squash blossoms. I love how the vines are huge and make a lot of shade. The squash are tender and used like little zucchini as long as the skin is thin. Later the skin gets thicker, eventually turning tan and hard. Left until fall they are great winter squash, a couple of vines can easily make over 100 pounds of winter squash.

squash vines on the greenhouse / trellis




















Arizona Dragon


This little guy sat in my drive way for quite some time. He was not at all bothered by me getting close for photos. Actually called a Horned Lizard (or Horney Toad) many people complain they don't see them any more. I think that is because people spray poison all over their house and yards and poison all the ant dens. Ants are part of the Horned Lizard's diet, so of course, no ants, no lizards. I don't spray any poison around my place and rarely do I poison an ant den unless it's like in my house or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment