My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Farmer Friday

Georgia Collards
I picked a couple of bunches of collards this week, the first of the new planting.

Armenian cucumber
I found one large Armenian cucumber. There are a lot of small ones out there, so maybe next week there will be a bunch. Did you know that Armenian cukes are not true cucumbers? They are actually a kind of melon that tastes like cucumber. That is why they are burpless.

Black Tail Mt watermelon and Hales cantaloupes
I found some more ripe melons. One of the cantaloupes was splitting so I had it for breakfast. It was pretty tasty.

miscellany of veggies
There were a handful of carrots and some volunteer potatoes from a bed I was cleaning up, along with a Market Moore cuke and some large tomatoes.

bush beans
a mess of beans

I picked a mess of green beans. There were a few yellow wax in there too. I do believe that some of the Kentucky Wonder pole bean seed got mixed up in with the Provider bush beans when I saved them last year tho. Some of the bean plants are running like crazy.


assorted squash
Of course there was a box of squash. Lots of the yellow Gold Rush zucchini this week. It's funny how each week there is a different variety that makes up the bulk of the pick. I also picked cherry tomatoes, but forgot to take a picture. Of course I've posted plenty already.

cucumber salad
#eatwhatyougrow And for some eat what you grow ideas. I chopped about half the Armenian cuke into bits, chopped a handful of curly parsley and some basil, along with a small slicing tomato. I mixed it up with some plain yogurt and salt and pepper. It made a tasty and refreshing salad for lunch.


eggs, parsley, chard
For dinner I used up about a dozen little silkie eggs, a handful of chard and parsley and made an omelet. I used some shredded mozzarella for the cheese. I didn't think to take a pic of the finished product.



No comments:

Post a Comment