My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Happy New Year

12-15-2016 Black Copper Marans pullet egg
Happy New Year! In some ways the past couple of weeks I've felt a bit sorry for myself, not being able to do everything I want to do, how my life has taken strange twists and turns the past couple of years, the bizarre weather we're having this year, the usual winter blues. so this is a bit of a recap of the year. I have gotten things done. I have made progress on the gardens. I know the only way to go is forward, but looking back at how much I _have_ managed to accomplish will perhaps give me a kick in the pants.
 chickens on compost 1-1-2017
Last fall and winter I had chickens working compost piles and made a new garden space with 300 sq ft of bed space.

kale seedlings under lights
I started literally hundreds of seedlings under lights.

purple potatoes
I planted a lot of potatoes in different colors and harvested well over 100 pounds for sale.

eggs for hatching
I hatched a lot of eggs of from different breeds.
Mixed lettuce March 24, 2017
I harvest a lot of pounds of lettuce, kale and spinach.

cantaloupe & watermelon seedlings 4-25-17
I hauled six truckloads of manure and made another garden space. I planted watermelons and cantaloupes in it.

5-26-17
By May I was picking all kinds of summer squash.

Globe-Miami Farmers Market
In June the farmers market started. It was so much fun to see everyone each week, vendors and customers alike.

Cherry Tomatoes 6-30-17
While 2017 wasn't the best tomato year ever, there were a lot of cherry tomatoes early on.

Black Tail Mountain Watermelons
By July the melons were coming in.
green beans
By August the green beans were coming in. Not as many as I hoped for, but a good amount still.

cucumbers
Also in August, the Armenian and regular cucumbers were coming in.

new pullet eggs
By September the oldest of the new pullets were laying.

Superior Farmers Market
In October the Globe Farmers Market was over so we started in Superior.

cabbage seedlings
By November I was planting fall crops again. Cabbage, mustard, kale, pak choi, and more.

rock wall, new garden area
In December I started working on the area where I grew melons in the summer. Adding a rock retaining wall.

I'm hoping in the next few days to go over my harvest records and do a post about the total poundage of different vegetables harvested this year.

So Happy New Year. I hope 2018 is even bigger and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment