My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Babies!

Broody silkie with a couple of babies
Well the broody coop isn't finished yet, but little mamma is just as happy in a crate in the house.

Only three chicks hatched, two Black Copper Marans and one Easter Egger. I am waiting to see if any more decide to pop out, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm afraid either my temperature or humidity were a bit off this time around.

I have a new thermometer /hygrometer unit on it's way. According to tracking it will probably arrive tomorrow, so hopefully the next hatch will be better.

In the pick the EE chick is on the right. The other Marans chick has already scooted under mamma for a warm up.

3 comments:

  1. So cute! Congratulations on your new babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, new life on the homestead to me says that there is going to be a great future ahead for this year and every thing is just as it should be. The natural order of things is still ok. Nature does not wait for just the right time to bring new life into the world. Convenience is not one of nature's best traits. Good luck with your next hatch.

    Have a great new life on the homestead day.

    ReplyDelete