My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

It's Coming Along

Where I left off on Friday
Worked all day on the new Silkie coop. Well here's where I left off Friday evening, with the back wall done, the vent installed.





with a coat of Kilz
and here it is with a coat of Kilz on it











front wall done


Then I made two more rafters, put one on the front edge and boarded up the top of the front wall. The whole open space will have a door that drops down for clean out and to reach the birds. From front to back the interior space is 40" and I can reach to the back wall through the opening.





east end wall




I have some loose panes of glass from old windows that the frames have rotted out. I'm building a small window to go here. This is the east end wall, boarded up and coated with Kilz.

front wall painted





I painted the front wall while I was at it. As you can see it was almost dark when I quit and picked up my tools. I am now totally out of Kilz. I'll have to check the paint cupboard and see what else is in there for a primer coat.

Tomorrow I'll work on the west end wall and fool with the windows some more. After that, work on the interior, then put the roof on.

2 comments:

  1. Mary, your coop is looking good. You are including some very helpful features for cleaning out and working with the flock while they are in the coop. It's too cold to work outside much here in Nebraska. Although, the temperature will be in the 50s today it's not going to stay there long. Our normal temperatures are usually below freezing until March with night time temps in the teens or single digits so until Spring my winter projects are all inside.

    Have a great coop building day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, your coop is looking good. You are including some very helpful features for cleaning out and working with the flock while they are in the coop. It's too cold to work outside much here in Nebraska. Although, the temperature will be in the 50s today it's not going to stay there long. Our normal temperatures are usually below freezing until March with night time temps in the teens or single digits so until Spring my winter projects are all inside.

    Have a great coop building day.

    ReplyDelete