My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, January 6, 2019

And This is Why I get Nothing Accomplished


This is a 10x10 foot dog kennel, 6 feet high with a roof kit so about 8 feet at the peak. It has weld wire over it at the 6 foot mark. The bottom of that tarp is now at my eye level and I’m not quite 5’2”. The rain and snow collapsed a couple of the roof supports. 





It took all morning to bail the water off and straighten out the tarps. Next to that kennel are several more, also covered with the big tarps. 


I was lucky it didn’t actually rain. 


Some of the pens had standing water in them that ran in when I was bailing. This one just smelled of ammonia because it was wet under the bedding. So after finally scarfing up some food I cleaned it out and turned and fluffed the bedding in some of the other pens. Then I hauled 3 bales of straw to help soak up the water and give everybody dry footing. 



Everybody loves to dig through the straw so I just dump it in there and the birds spread it around. 



Pinal Mountains, south of me. More snow and rain coming. 

A new Ameraucana joins the layers club. By the time I did afternoon chores I was stiff and sore and hungry again. 


I did discover this pretty purple cauliflower. It didn’t stay purple when I cooked it but tasted good. 


Little Bits has claimed a spot by the wood stove. He is putting more weight on his hurt foot today. 


So chores are done and dinner eaten. A toasty fire is made. . I think a splash of brandy in my tea is just the thing to ease up all my sore muscles. None of this stuff was on my agenda for today. Ah well. There’s always tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. Could have been worse, I don't use tarps anymore if I can avoid it

    ReplyDelete