My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

1/6/2021


Today’s list which I wrote out last night and just realized it says Tuesday instead of Wednesday. Does that mean I get an extra day this week? Some family members seem to think that just because I’m at home I’m not “working “. Truth is I work harder here than I ever have to at my day job. 

After I fed all the animals I fed myself. 


Then I gave everybody some grit and oyster shell. 

Hung out a load of laundry and started another load then started in on the dishes. The kitchen has gotten out of control again. 


I cut some wood and realized I needed to clean out the stove but before I could do that I needed to empty the ash can. I added some to the compost pile and added some to a chicken pen, future garden area. I used a magnet to get out all the nails. 

Then I was able to clean out the stove


Then I went and picked my new goat, Caramel. She wasn’t too sure about Giotto and all the cats. 


It took a long time to convince her it was ok to get out of the truck. 

Once Caramel was settled in a bit I had some lunch then fixed a broken irrigation valve. 

Giotto is being perfect. He’s curious but a bit afraid of Caramel due to a previous bad experience with a big goat. Caramel is not thrilled with a dog around and stomps her feet at him with all the hair on her back up. So far Giotto is laying a distance away and just hanging out. 


Besides the big long list there were other things that needed doing, like cooking up the infertile eggs from the incubator to feed back to the hens. I also got more dishes done and hung up a second load of laundry.  And took out two bags of trash. 


Then I cleaned up and moved a chicken tractor 

The chicks that hatched in October have been off heat for a couple of weeks so I moved them out of this pen into the chicken tractor. Then I moved these three oldest chicks from the indoor brooder because they are way too big to hang out with the tiny little Nankin chick that hatched yesterday. 

Nankins are very rare bantam chickens. They are very sweet with great personalities. I’ve got more Nankin eggs in the incubator so hopefully there will be more chicks soon. 


Did I get it all done? No.  But that’s ok, the list helped keep me on track and focused and I got a lot done. Besides there’s always tomorrow.  And now it’s time for a fire and dinner. 

#appreciation
Today I appreciate the warm sunny day and how much I was able to get done. 






No comments:

Post a Comment