My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Surviving


Sunday we had a winter storm rolling  in. 

I realized Caramel couldn’t stay up on the hill with wind and snow coming and cobbled together a makeshift space to keep her as dry as possible. 

By Monday morning the mountains were covered. I managed to get into work despite my windshield wipers motor trying to quit on me. 

Getting home was a little hairier 

I discovered in the wind and rain Caramel had escaped. I think the collapsing tarp scared her. She was back in the hill pen. I fixed things up and got her back in the little pen. 

The snow was coming thick and fast while I did afternoon chores. Those are my tracks filling in with snow in about 5 minutes. 

And it snowed. 

And snowed. 


And snowed some more. 


I was late for work on Tuesday just dealing with blown off tarps and wet pens. 


And on Tuesday it snowed. 


And snowed. 


And snowed. I thought I was going to have to hang out at work when I got off but then it stopped and the sun tried to come out. I was able to go get gas and go home. 

Doing chores in this kind of weather is exhausting. The tarps are sagging and ripping from the snow load. So up on a ladder bailing then go underneath and push up to slop off the rest of it. 

The sun did peek out and melt off a little of it. 

I thought using the dolly to move heavy bales was a good idea but the wheels kept making snowballs. 

The seedlings in the kitchen are doing ok but they could use more light. 

On Wednesday time to be up early to take Freya to the spay clinic. The kittens are concerned their mommas in the crate. 
The mountains above Miami 

Copper Hills got slammed. 

#appreciation
Today I really appreciate my friends that have called to check on me and offer help. I really appreciate a friend that loaned a indoor propane heater. I used it to warm up the kitchen so I could work in there. I super appreciate that for all its issues I have a roof over my head, good food to eat, warm clothes to wear. It seems the storm is done and the sun is coming out. While winter had to make an appearance spring is coming. 













No comments:

Post a Comment