My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, April 8, 2021

Going as Fast as I Can


The apples are blooming

So are the iris and lilacs 

I’ve already pulled the frost cloth and put on shade cloth to help keep the greens cooler

Posie likes bolting kale and clover


Little bucking may grow some horns after all. I was afraid of that. He was literally born with his horns already started. 

A tomato planting experiment. Some worm castings in the planting hole 


And some eggs. These are infertile eggs I pulled from the incubator 

Take off the bottom leaves and blossoms

Bury the stem (tomatoes will grow roots all along the stem)


I got 20 tomatoes put in here

The first bachelor button

The kids climb on me any time I sit down in the pen

My #1 olive egger boy and some of his girls. He is a good boy even tho his daddy was a butthead


I was given a roof frame for a kennel and finally got it put up


Spring fever. I should not be allowed in the nursery alone. 

Blooming cilantro always draws interesting bugs

It’s a jungle in here

I forgot to take pictures of some things like the geraniums and things I bought and potted up along with potting up some of the flowers I started. I also seeded several trays of six packs of flowers: sunflower, cosmos, alyssum, marigolds and zinnias. 

Finally have a working oven thanks to friends. Tonight dinner was leg of lamb, one of my favs. 


Ow!  That brown egg is about average USDA large, about 2 ounces. I’m guessing that green one will weigh 4 or more. Ouch!

It’s springtime and really summer is trying to just bulldoze its way in already. One day this week it was 92° and nights have been about 50° so time to get summer crops put in already. Any day I’m not at my part time job I’m outside at daylight and don’t quit until dark. But I just can’t seem to go fast enough!




#appreciation
Today I appreciated the pretty flowers I was potting up, the abundance in the freezer and the garden. 













No comments:

Post a Comment