My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Been a long dry summer


I’ve neglected this page I see. A few highlights from a hot dry summer. This is a native fruit, holly leaf  barberry. They are sweet and a little tart when soft ripe, more tart if less ripe. They have little flesh and a lot of tiny little seeds but they are addictive once you start eating them. Maybe next year I’ll have time to pick more. I would love to juice them.  They ripen in June. 



There was a huge wild fire not that far away from me. 


I hatched some Black Copper Marans along with a few others. 


The wild life is driving me crazy. 


The sunflowers have done well. 

There was a nice crop of summer apples. 


I redid the steps to the hill pen. 


There have only been a few squash and peppers. 



The 3 years old peach (from seed!) had 4 huge peaches. They were cling stone but sweet and juicy. 




I am still battling root knot nematodes in a couple of areas. 



The Lofthouse sunroots are about 8 feet high and blooming. A buttercup squash grows on the compost pile. 


Four years of neglect in the greenhouse. Full of weed trees. 


A couple hours work. More to do as I have time. 

And while it rains all around me I’ve had only about an inch of rain since February. 

No comments:

Post a Comment