My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Wednesday Work 9/25/19


Spaghetti squash on the compost pile. 

Clearing brush for the fence


Hoping the last post didn’t hit a rock. Cutting back the mesquite means a little fire wood for next year. 


Now to just finish up getting the wire on and this section will be done. 

Waking up to holes like this means either a raccoon or a skunk. Traps are set. 


Glad to see the fungi!  Fungi are very necessary for proper nutrient cycling in the garden. I also understand some fungi eat the root feeding nematodes so the more the merrier!



And Shazam!! Just like that it was fall. Some rain and cooler temps have been a blessing. 

The new Lancinato kale are almost big enough to pick. I swapped their shade cloth for bird net. 


A couple days ago I cleared out this bed when I realized it had root knot nematodes. 

The nematodes are why the squash plants were sickly and most died this year. 



It’s on a slope and it’s retaining boards were leaning. So I shoveled out the dirt, reset the boards and carried on. I sprayed an organic nematocide and watered it in. I put on some fresh compost, planted various seeds, stole the shade cloth from the bed next door. Fingers crossed my new plan of attack alleviates the nematodes. 







No comments:

Post a Comment