My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, August 25, 2024

Farmer Friday

Picking tunas; aka prickly pear fruit


This week I realized that the prickly pear near my house were ripe so I picked about 10-12 pounds one day and about that much another day. The second batch is in the freezer waiting to be processed and there are more getting ripe.

processing prickly pear fruit

Since I'm not saving the skins or pulp (just don't have time to deal with extra projects!) I freeze them whole, then let them thaw and mash with a potatoe masher. I strain the juice through layers of cheese cloth at least three times, to get all the little glochids, the tiny hair like thorns, out of the juice.

New Goat Milk Products, lotion and sugar scrub with prickly pear
My research says that prickly pear has healing properties similar to aloe vera


different kinds of eggplant

This week's tomato harvest was negligible but the eggplants are coming on strong.


That is the 4th diamondback this summer

Watch this video and see what Freya Cat does to that snake!



Double rainbow Friday evening

Haven't gotten a lot of rain lately but the sunsets and rainbows have been beautiful




There's more from the week in this video.

Have a great weekend and stay tuned for a Harvest Monday post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment