My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, August 26, 2024

Harvest Monday

Prickly Pear

Welcome to Harvest Monday! This is a blog hop that I used to participate in regularly and I'm trying to get back in the swing of things here. You can see more participating blogs here; Harvest Monday
This past week I harvested about 24 pounds of prickly pear cactus fruit.

Cucuzzi gourd

Thanks to the Hollar Homestead over on YouTube for showing this new vegetable. So I knew what it was when I saw the seeds. It does however look like it might take over the world!
Eggs and bird pecked peaches

I don't think I counted the peaches, just tasted the better parts of them. They are firm ripe but not yet super sweet and juicy. However I am battling the squirrels and birds for them! The peaches are from a seedling tree I call Nida's Peach after the lady I bought it from. See more of that tree here.



Not sure what the round egg plant is, the others are Japanese in different colors


Ready to go to the Farmers Market

Not a huge haul this week, the tomatoes are petering out because it was so hot in June and July they couldn't set fruit. There are some more cherry tomatoes out there because they always come through.

So this weeks totals are;
Prickly Pear 22 pounds
Eggplant 2 pounds 8.5 ounces
Tomatoes 2 pounds 8 ounces
Zucchini 3 pounds
Cucuzzi 8 ounces
Eggs 51
Milk almost 9.5 gallons

Hopefully I'll manage to keep up this week. Enjoy the blog hop and I'll see you next time.





2 comments:

  1. You have an interesting assortment in your harvests for sure! I have grown the cucuzzi gourd though and it vined a lot for me too, like a tromboncino does. I've never eaten a prickly pear though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL. I couldn't find my tromboncino seed last spring so didn't get any planted but one year they grew up that trellis and covered the roof of the house. The prickly pear is delicious, just a pain to harvest with all the spines. Some people burn them off to keep the whole fruit. I'm mostly interested in the juice so just freeze, thaw and smash, much faster and easier for me. Pretty much all cactus fruit is edible, just they will have different tastes. Indigenous folks in the lower desert collect the fruit from the saguaro but those don't grow at my elevation.

      Delete