My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, June 25, 2018

A little Catch Up

Plum Purple Radish from Baker's Creek
I  see I haven't posted in months. No sense trying to catch up, will just go forward. Several beds of large radishes have come and gone. Very popular with many of my customers.

spinach
Spinach is always a big hit. Too bad I can't grow it in the summer time. Spinach is a very cool weather crop. Once we hit 80 degrees it just wants to make flowers and seed. Also the seed won't even sprout at that temperature, it's too hot.

new potatoes
This years potato crop was very poor. We had almot no rain and the ground is dry as dust.

Buff Orpington and Black Copper Marans chicks
I've hatched lots of chicks, some hatching today and one more hatch due July 3.

cactus flowered dahlia
To my surprise some of the dahlias I grew from seed last year survived the winter in the ground and in pots and are blooming now. I see buds on some others.

tomato almost ready
There have been a couple of ripe tomatoes, but not enough to take to market.

elephant garlic
The garlic harvet was also dissapointing. It is probably only half the weight it could have been. Again, lack of winter rain is to blame.

You can get almot daily updates on my Instagram page or Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment