My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Monday, May 18, 2020

A Quiet weekend


Picking greens mix: Aztec spinach, Lambs quarters, Amaranth with a bit of arugula. 


Flowers

I don’t know how I’m going to fix this mess. 


This garlic is ready to pull. 

Decent looking. 


I realized the bed was pretty compacted so decided to double dig it and loosen it up. This means digging a trench across the width of the bed, saving the top soil from the first trench. Then loosening up the soil in the bottom. In this bed that meant using the pick axe and removing some of the rock and caliche. I was gifted with a large amount of used potting soil so I added some to the bottom of the trench. 


It was very dry and so is the ground so I filled the trench with water to get Everything wet down. You could use manure, compost, butchering waste or other organic matter. This will act like a sponge and help hold onto the water.  Then you dig the next trench, putting the top soil on the first trench. At the end you use the topsoil you saved from the first trench. 

I dug this bed over the winter, a trench at a time. I buried butchering waste in the trenches.  Now it’s really growing like crazy. 

#appreciation
Really appreciating the slight temperatures drop back under 90 degrees. It’s been really nice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment