My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, March 27, 2020

Farmer Friday 3/27/2020


Yesterday 2 little Nankins hatched. They are a rare breed of bantam chicken. Mom stuck tight to the nest all day today so more may have hatched. 

The bed I planted the other day is looking ok so far. 


Picking Calendula 

And daffodils 

And iris

To make bouquets for Superior 


They are predicting nearly freezing temps tonight so brought the tomatoes and artichoke plants in. Was grey all day with an icy wind. 2 friends 2-5 miles in opposite directions from me both reported light snow. 

I dropped some mulch on potatoes that I planted Wednesday whose sprouts were poking out and on the chayote sprouts. Then I covered the potted potatoes with heavy frost cloth. I undid the hoses and covered the faucets too. 


I retreated to the house out of the nasty wind. Did up some dishes and cleaned up a bit. I scrambled up all the infertile and early quitter eggs that pulled from the incubator the other day. I’ll feed them to the chickens tomorrow as part of their feed. 

Not sure but that might be what we called Indian onions when I was a kid. A native wild onion. I’ll have to check.  Even if it isn’t it’s a pretty little flower right by where I walk 

#appreciation
Certainly appreciating spring coming and looking forward to the abundance to follow. 






No comments:

Post a Comment