My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Saturday 3/28/2020


I had a nice morning visiting with customers as they picked up their orders in Superior. Came home for lunch then got busy and got some stuff planted. Mizuna, radish, turnip, spinach, Aztec spinach and arugula. Most of these will be ready in about 30-45 days. 


The apple trees are booming. 

I had a few purple sprouting broccoli which I cut for dinner. The goats enjoyed the the tougher stems and extra leaves. 





The broody Nankin hatched 2 chicks Thursday and stayed tight on the nest on Friday. Today she came out with the babies. But when I checked the nest there was a 3rd chick, very cold and almost dead. So I popped it into the incubator to warm up. It was doing much better when I checked on it. 

BUT when I checked on the broody after dark I found she’d left her babies on the ground and went upstairs to roost. Poor things were laying cold on their backs so into the incubator they went. My incubator hatch isn’t due until April 5 so I don’t have a brooder set up yet. Guess I should fix that tomorrow.  All 3 babies seem to be doing ok now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment