My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Friday, June 10, 2022

Farmer Friday June 10, 2022


I’m not sure Miss Esmarelda is pregnant. At least she isn’t going to kid anytime soon. It’s *possible* that she is pregnant but just later than when I put her in with Bashful, since there were a couple of breakouts. 



But I knew Midnight was close, being due June 10th. So I worked like crazy mucking out a pen for her to kid in. While doing that Monday morning I noticed Gazelle was bothering Midnight so as soon as I got done I moved Midnight into the new pen. And none too soon. I went to the house for less than two hours and came back out to twins!


And more video because nothing is cuter than a baby goat! Except two!


And now some more curve balls. The Hooligans (Bambi, Storm and Esmarelda) have destroyed the chain link between their pen and Bashful’s so Bashful has been in with them for a week or so while I was trying to get things situated for Midnight. No big deal, Nubians are seasonal breeders so it wasn’t likely anyone would come into heat before about August. And then this morning Bashful was running and chasing Storm like crazy. Storm is pregnant and due June 19. Apparently pre-birth hormones and discharge smell a lot like a heat cycle. So I had to stop another project and cut and wrestle a cattle panel in to cover the compromised fencing. Then I went back to the priority project of the day. 


Which is to finish turning this garden into a buck pen. The garden has root knot nematodes so I can’t plant anything in here until probably the fall of 2023. 

Just a little bit more to do now. Some shade cloth, water bucket and a chain for the gate. Maybe able to get to it by Sunday. 

I picked some nice Swiss chard but the kale is done for. It’s just too hot, I can’t keep it watered enough. 

The tomatoes are doing fairly well so fingers crossed. Most are growing in 5 gallon buckets. 



And this morning’s check on the twins. 



And an update on Lil’ Latte



A pic of Gazelle with Chocolate in the back, just because. (Gazelle is looking for a new herd to join) I delivered eggs and things to Superior. Fed and watered everybody, collected eggs, watered a ton of potted plants, checked on the twins again (they’ve struggled a bit with the afternoon heat), milked, filled more water buckets, collected and buried 4 old hens that passed from the heat (it was about 110° F this afternoon), gave all the goats some chaffe hay and fresh minerals. Chatted with my friend about goat pen arrangements (details next time), washed up all the milk things and now it’s way past my bedtime…zzzzzzzz



No comments:

Post a Comment