My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, June 12, 2022

Sunday is Just Another Day


Up at 4:30 outside at 5:00 to hay the goats. Started a batch of soap and started laundry to wash. 


The cheese I set last night is ready to drain. 


Shade cloth up but I ran out of zip ties. 


Found a chain for the gate. 

Hung out the pile of udder washing rags I washed earlier 


Took hay to my buck Bentley who is staying at my friends house for now. He got a hoof trim while I was there. Realized I was missing a meeting at work. Went anyway because I need zip ties. Meeting was over of course. Realized I had no cash and new debit card hadn’t arrived yet. So go home for $, go back and also get feed. 

On the way home. It’s not even 10:00 am. It was actually reading 100 down on the highway. 


Check on goats. Got a big piece of tin off the back of the pen so they have more airflow. Water goats and chickens while I’m out there. 


Get to taste a White Marseilles fig for the first time. Yummy. Thomas Jefferson brought them to the US from France. 

Finished this batch of soap. Unscented with colloidal oatmeal. 
Check weather. Supposed to rain next weekend. But we have already exceeded the predicted high for today by several degrees. 

Afternoon heat check. Chocolate (in back) and Gazelle are fine. I have decided to move Gazelle along so message me if you want to know more. 

Got the chèvre draining. 


Put away all the milk things I washed last night. 

Had toast and cheese for lunch. 



Went out and checked on everyone again, filled up water buckets, wet down shade cloth and of course played with baby goats. 

Feed & water chickens, pick up eggs. Get ready to milk. Midnight’s udder feels hard so I coax her the milk stand by carrying her twins. So then Chocolate and Gazelle are yelling because they want to go too. Midnight has the tiniest teats ever!  They’ll get bigger but it was hard to get much milk out of her. She did super standing for her first milking and after they went back to their pen her boys were nursing. I hope that relieved some pressure. I’ll check her again in the morning. 

Bambi is last in the milking line and I decided to move her and Bashful in together in the new pen. Bambi isn’t very nice to Esmarelda, always butting her around. I’m afraid if Storm and her kids get in the way the kid would get hurt. Anyway took some coaxing and manipulating with a pan of grain to get Bashful in. Bambi immediately began yelling and testing the fence and gate. Cross my fingers I did a good enough job. 

I grabbed my clippers and trimmed some tree branches to give them something to do. But there was still a lot of yelling even past dark. On the other hand Storm and Esmarelda didn’t seem too concerned that Bambi didn’t come back to their pen. 

By the time I brought the milk in the house it was going on full dark. So I filtered milk, washed up all the milk things, a few people dishes, got a bath and went to bed. 









No comments:

Post a Comment