My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, October 10, 2019

10/10/19 the days work


Little chick is doing better so back to the coop. 


Time for grit for all the pens and oyster shell for the layers. 


Even little chicks need grit to properly digest their food. 


I added holes around the side of the bucket for making compost extract. I also put in less compost so it wasn’t so heavy when wet. 


The bucket with compost inside the barrel. Add water and stir. 


After sitting a bit and a lot of stirring to keep it oxygenated take it out and pour around plants. 

Theses radishes got some today. They are not as dark a green as I’d like to see. 



Time to clean coops. 

And make a new compost pile. 



Mmmmmm. I’d say not all of my sexed pullets are pullets! That one on the right is a cockerel while that’s a pullet to the left. 


Time to get some stuff out of the van. 


Found an old fence panel to cover the last gap. Now to wait for blue stake to mark the gas line so I can set the other post for the driveway gates. Almost there just keep on trucking. 


Spent the afternoon taking Giotto to the vet for his ear infection. It started in his right ear but now it’s in his left. 


Dropped Giotto off at home and went to the grocery store. Then home to do chores. Look a little silkie eggs. Not sure who’s laying in that pen. By the way the white cockerel, a black cockerel with a single comb and the 4 partridge are for sale.  Not show quality (poor crests and red faced) but nice pets or showmanship birds. 

And now it’s time for food and bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment