My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Sunday, October 13, 2019

10/13/19 Quiet Sunday


More post hole work. The ground here is compacted so bad it’s like digging cement. It may take a week to get down deep enough 


The compost pile was already back to 140° so I turned it again, incorporating the newer material from the outside to the bottom and middle. Then I started a new pile with some small wood chips and bedding from one of the chicken pens. 

I see the coon is back. I’ll reset the traps tonight and see i can catch it. 


This is one of the beds badly infested with root knot nematodes which I have basically ignored the past couple of years. This end is getting totally overgrown with Bermuda grass so time to fix that. 

First I mowed it down with my little string trimmer. 


Now I’ve covered it with a tarp. The tarp will prevent light from getting through and the grass will die. Then I’ll move it down to kill off the rest. 


Ugh. It never ends. And of course I don’t have a hose clamp small enough. So a trip to the store. I was lucky that in the size I needed there was one left. 


This gate post has rotted out and needs replaced. But not today. 

I put down some fresh shavings in pens where I’ve taken out as much bedding as I want to remove for now. 
Then filled all the waterers, collected eggs, tossed scratch, fed the dog and cats and me. Took a shower and off to bed   




No comments:

Post a Comment