My Edible Garden

I've been gardening for most of my life and have been a devoted fan of organic gardening the whole time. It just makes so much more sense to work in harmony with Mother Nature than to fight her. Besides which it is better for the planet and better for our bodies. Here you can see what I'm planting and harvesting, with gardening hints and resources thrown in for good measure.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

I dig my dinner april 7, 2009

I dig my dinner

Like I said I’ve joined up with Freedom Gardeners everywhere in the 1 million pound harvest challenge. Here’s a great link for you:
digmydinner-copy  I can’t seem to make the link work with the picture so go to www.freedomgardens.org for more info. Growing your own food is easy. Plants and seeds _want_ to grow, that is what they are designed to do. You just have to give them the right conditions to let them do their best.  Most veggies like full sun and rich fertile soil.
If your soil isn’t so great you can make it better. Adding manure, compost and organic fertilizers will help bring poor soils into better condition for plants. Properly managed gardens just get better and better every year. So if not everything does well the first year keep on trying. Many factors affect plant growth, soil and air temperature, water and weather are also big factors besides soil fertility. Keep a garden journal where you write down what you planted and where and make note of how it does. If it doesn’t do well try and figure out why. Maybe you planted too early or too late or that spot doesn’t get enough water or that’s where it floods when it rains. All of these can affect plant growth. Then adjust for the next year.
Even experienced gardeners have plants that don’t grow as well as others. Figuring out why and correcting it is part of the learning curve. However, every year there is always something that does really well and yields bumper crops so rarely is there a total failure. Happy growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment